Water skiing when the sun rises on a lake as calm as glass, a long lazy float down the river with all your closest friends, or a sunset on a sandy beach in a tropical location. Playing in the water makes the best days just a little bit better.
Whether you’re hiking or backpacking when the rain hits water makes the best days a little bit worse. No matter how much you plan and prepare mother nature always gets her way.
If your an avid adventurer it’s inevitable that eventually rain will find you and there’s not much worse than discovering that everything inside your bag is completely soaked. You want to know that your valuables are going to be protected and finding the best waterproof backpack is the first step in the battle to keep your gear dry.
The Best Waterproof Backpacks
The best waterproof backpack is going to be the one that you feel the most comfortable in while keeping your gear dry. Here is our top 7 picks of the best waterproof backpacks available.
Earth Pak Waterproof Backpack
The Earth Pak Waterproof backpack is built for extreme wet conditions and made to last for years. It comes in a variety of sizes and colors, so there’s literally a pack for every occasion.
It is made with 500D PVC which is completely waterproof and each and every seam is double sealed for maximum protection. Every model comes with shoulder straps, and the 30 Liter and up models include a chest strap for added support.
This bag is washable and includes a waterproof cellphone carrying case as an extra. New York Times best selling author Tim Ferris gave it a 10 out of 10 for durability. This bag can handle any environment that you could imagine and is perfect for hiking, boating, scuba diving, and anywhere else there’s water.
- Not for long distances
- Cell phone bag may leak
- Roll down latches cause frusteration
- RELIABLE PROTECTION: We believe our earth pak dry bags are the best out there--bar none. These dry bags are meant to last for years and provide waterproof protection for even the most rugged users.
- SHOULDER STRAP: 10L & 20L dry bags come with a 24-42 Inch single shoulder strap. 30L, 40L, and 55L waterproof backpacks are equipped with backpack style shoulder straps that also come with a sternum strap for added stability. Our new 55L also comes equipped with a heavy duty waist-belt, which relieves added pressure and helps support your load.
- IPX8 CERTIFIED WATERPROOF PHONE CASE: We have included our IPX8 Certified 6.5 Inch waterproof phone case that will fit even the largest of phones. This case features a very simple snap and lock access that has dual-sided clear windows that allow to take pictures while still inside the case. Suitable for phones up to 6.5 Inches of diagonal screen size.
- NATIONAL RECOGNITION: Recently featured by acclaimed New York Times Bestseller and entrepreneur Tim Ferris (Author of The Four Hour Workweek) in his blog.
Venture Pal Hiking Backpack
The Venture Pal Hiking backpack is made with water resistant material and can handle light rains while keeping everything dry on the inside. This backpack comes in one size and is designed to be a hiking daypack and would not be suitable for long distance trips.
The bottom of the pack has a double layer for increased protection. It comes with two heavy-duty zippers on the main pockets of the backpack and the zippers come with bar-tracks on stress points.
It’s a lightweight and roomy hiking backpack with lots of pockets for storage, including mesh pockets on the outside. When not being used, it folds into a zipped pocket on the inside of the pack.
- Lots of pockets
- Comfortable shoulder straps
- Performs poorly in heavy rain
- Thin material
- Zipper issues
- DURABLE. This Venture Pal Backpack is made with high quality tear and water resistant material, provides extra strength and long-lasting performance with the lightest weight possible. The extra strength provided by the double-layer bottom piece makes it very convenient to carry more load on your journeys. Heavy duty two-way SBS metal zippers across the backpack are convenient to operation on whichever side you prefer. Longevity is further enhanced by bar-tacks at major stress points.
- COMFORTABLE. Breathable mesh shoulder straps with plentiful sponge padding help relieve the stress from your shoulder. The length of the shoulder straps is adjustable. The chest strap with a whistle buckle help you lock your backpack in place securely.
- MULTI COMPARTMENTS and KEEP THINGS ORGANIZED. This backpack features one main zipped compartment, two zipped front pockets and two side pockets. The main compartment provide enough room (35 liters) no matter if it's a day trip or a week long journey. Two separators in the main compartment are convenient enough to help you further organize things. The two front pockets are good for holding small accessories and for easy access. Two side pockets are good for holding water bottles and umbrellas.
- LIGHTWEIGHT(0.7LB) and ROOMY(35Liters).A true space saver. Fold the backpack into its own pocket for storage(no more excess baggage fees),and unfold it when you reach your destination. To avoid overweight charge, simply unfold from your checked bags and use it as a carry on for your excess baggage.
Bak Sak Waterproof Backpack
The Bak Sak Waterproof backpack is made of 500D PVC and is guaranteed by the company to be waterproof. If your not happy they will give you a full refund, no questions asked. It comes in one 35 Liter size which makes it feasible for an overnight hike.
It’s roomy inside and has reinforced shoulder straps. There isn’t adequate padding on the part of the pack that rests on against your back, and it can get uncomfortable when it’s fully loaded.
Weighing in at 2.4 pounds empty, it’s surprisingly lightweight considering how durable the backpack is. The main storage area is large and spacious, and the front pocket has enough room for your personal belongings.
- 2.4 pounds
- 25 and 35-liter versions
- Zippers not waterproof
- No dividers inside
- Back is not padded
- RUGGED ALL-WEATHER PROTECTION: BackSak is made from heavy duty 500-denier PVC to seal out the elements with watertight, welded seams and a roll-down top. Keeps your gear protected & dry in a variety of outdoor sports and activities.
- COMFORT & CONVENIENCE: Sternum clip & padded back support help relieve pressure on muscles. Thick, cushioned straps adjust for custom comfort. Handy D-rings at sides hold water bottles & other gear.
- 2 EASY WAYS TO CLOSE: Simply fold the roll-down the top at least 3 times, then click the top clip to create an instant handle. OR use the side clips & adjust for a snug, compressed fit – it’s main compartment is IPX-6 waterproof either way!
- ZIPPERED, PROTECTIVE POCKETS: Spacious interior pocket keeps electronics & other valuables separate from wet towels & swimsuits. Splash-proof outer pocket safely holds keys, IDs, more.
G4Free Water Resistant Hiking Backpack
Built with water and tear resistant nylon fabric which provides strength and long-lasting performance. At 40 liters it’s good as a daypack and for an overnight trip. Keep in mind it’s water resistant, so if there’s heavy rain your belongings inside may get wet.
The shoulder straps are padded for extra comfort when under a heavy load. It also has a sternum strap that latches across the chest to take some of the load off of your back and has a built-in whistle for an emergency situation. The top has a two-sided pouch for easy access to your personal belongings.
Overall the backpack weighs in at 12.6 ounces. The bottom of the pack is reinforced for added durability and the outside of the pack has mesh pockets for easy access.
- Durable material
- Hidden pocket for valuables
- Small front pocket
- Elastic weakens over time
- Zippers fail
- High Capacity 40L; Unfold size: 22.8 x 13.4 x 7.9 inches (H x W x D); Roomy enough to carry what you need in the trip like the hammock, clothes, towel, food and a couple beers if needed. NOTE: the backpack is 40L+ when it is fully packed. 1 Main Compartment, 2 Top Pouch (Interior Exterior), 1 Front Spandex Pouch, 2 Sports Bottle Holder, and Padded Backpack Strap with Chest Clip
- Practical Design; This hiking backpack has bungee elastic ropes and straps for hanging the trekking poles, fishing rods, sleeping bag or the camping accessories for extra space. Chest strap for secure lock firmly and has the whistle wildlife essentials helping you to find your companion when in need. Large side mesh pocket to hold the big bottle
- Lightweight yet Durable; The backpack is made from High Quality Water and Tear Resistant Nylon fabric, provide strengthen and long-lasting performance with minimal weight; Adjustable and breathable padded shoulder and strap to meet different requirements for both men and women
- Packable Handy Size; It fits into an ultra-compact pouch. Easy to folds up into small pocket: 9.85x 9.06 inches (H x W). Weight: 12.7 ounces. So you can easily pack it in your suitcase or car and have an extra bag without taking up too much space
Chaos Ready Waterproof Backpack
The chaos ready backpack is made with 500 PVC Tarpaulin with a class 3 sealed main compartment. The seams are high frequency welded which make them more resistant to water while still remaining flexible.
The sides of the pack have two mesh pockets for things that you don’t mind getting wet. There is another quick zip pocket located in the front of the pack, this pocket is NOT waterproof so keep your electronics somewhere else.
It will actually float on the water when completely zipped up, so in the off chance that it falls off your kayak or into the water, your golden. It does only have one pocket and heavier things tend to fall to the bottom and can be a challenge to reach at the end of the day.
- 500 PVC Tarpaulin
bagwill float on water
- Comfortable fit
- Front pocket is not waterproof
- Bottom of the bag is not reinforced
- No zippers on the top of the bag
- 100% WATERPROOF:- 22L Main Compartment Is Class 3 Waterproof With Protection From Quick Submersion. Protecting All Your Belongings From Any Water Damage Whether Its Rain Or Downpour. The Submersible Bag Will Also Float On Top Of The Water Surface If Accidentally Dropped. (however Front Pocket Is Not 100% Waterproof So Be Cautious About Storing Valuables In There)
- 500 PVC TARPAULIN:- Made From Heavy Duty Tarpaulin Allowing A Lightweight Waterproof Foldable Backpack. Remains Watertight And Remaining Amazingly Flexible All The While Being Highly Durable. It Can Handle Whatever You Throw At It.
- MESH POCKETS:- 2 High Quality Mesh Pockets On The Side Of The Slim Travel Backpack To Ensure Easy Access To Any And All Types Of Water Bottles/bottles Alike. This Allows You To Stay Hydrated Efficiently Allowing You To Maintain At Peak Performance.
- USER FRIENDLY:- The Bag Has A Unique Tri Fold Buckle System For The Main Compartment. Extremely Simple But Effective At Keeping The Hiking Backpack Watertight. No Messing Around With A Complicated Fastening System Simply Roll Up And Buckle In And You’re On Your Way.
OutdoorMaster Hiking Backpack
OutdoorMaster’s Hiking Backpack is made of high quality and durable nylon. While it’s not waterproof this 50 Liter backpack comes with a waterproof rain cover to keep it 100% bone dry. They offer a 6-month satisfaction guaranteed warranty so any defects are covered.
This backpack includes both small and large pockets, elastic side pockets, hip belt pockets, and front pockets. You got a pocket for literally everything and there are external attachment points for water bottles, trekking poles, and anything else your heart desires.
The shoulder straps are S-curved for increased comfort and an ergonomic fit. It only weighs 2.5 pounds unloaded and has a top mounted reinforced carrying handle.
- Rain cover
- Waterproof rain cover included
- Sits high
- Occasional zipper issues
- Hip straps sit high
- MULTIPURPOSE 45L HIKING BACKPACK - Spacious backpack packed with many pockets & features. Great for hiking, travel, camping & as carry on luggage, for both men & women. THE ONLY BACKPACK YOU NEED!
- WATERPROOF RAIN COVER INCLUDED - Dedicated pocket for the included waterproof rain cover, padded laptop compartment (15.6") & PLENTY OF ROOM for all your equipment & accessories.
- DURABLE & COMFORTABLE TO CARRY - Made of lightweight materials with durability & comfort in mind. Featuring padded adjustable shoulder straps & mesh ventilation for a SNUG & COMFORTABLE FIT.
- PACKED WITH FEATURES & POCKETS - Plenty of both small & large pockets, as well as external attachment points, to hold your hydration reservoir, tent, trekking poles, sleeping bag & more. This pack HOLDS ALL YOUR hiking & travel ESSENTIALS!
The Friendly Swede Hiking Backpack
The Friendly Swede Hiking Backpack is built with industrial grade 500D Polyvinyl Tarpaulin making this extremely durable. This heavy duty dry bag is made with ultra-tough PVC and has high-frequency welded seams for maximum protection.
It has ergonomic shoulder straps for increased comfort on long hikes. The backpack has reflective details for added visibility and comes with a security whistle for personal safety. It has mesh pockets on the outside as well.
They are so confident in the design and durability of this backpack that they offer a lifetime warranty, pretty rad.
- 500D Polyvinyl Tarpaulin
- Lifetime warranty
- Built-in whistle
- Weak side pockets
- Rare stitching issues
- Only one color choice
- KEEPS YOUR BELONINGS PROTECTED: Put our highly water resistant, heavy duty dry bag backpack to the test in the toughest weather conditions. Bring this sports backpack to your next hiking, skiing or motorbike trip. It will even manage to keep things dry while you are busy kayaking or running in the rain. Please note that the easy-access front pocket is not 100% waterproof with its velcro closure.
- FUNCTIONAL ADD-ONS: It wouldn’t be a The Friendly Swede item without functional and outdoorsy add-ons. This dry bag features reflective details as well as an easy to access emergency survival whistle, for your safety. The two spacious mesh pockets are perfect for water bottles or a thermos of hot, Swedish coffee. Inside we have also added a padded laptop sleeve pocket (14.5" x 11.4"). Because yes, the bag is stylish enough to also bring to your white-collar office.
- ERGONOMIC STRAPS AND ROLL TOP CLOSURE: The ultimate hiking backpack must feature fully adjustable and ergonomic shoulder, chest and waist straps - designed to keep the bag steady and sturdy in place on any outdoor activity. This dry sack can also both be closed with the buckles on the top of the bag or with the sidelocks. Just make sure you fold down the top a few, 4-6, times for a secure seal.
- HEAVY DUTY 500-DENIER PVC TARPAULIN: The Friendly Swede offers a range of outdoor gear such as Dry Bags, Duffels and Backpacks, all with the same high quality materials and workmanship. The 33L Dry Backpack is made from ultra-tough PVC and features high frequency glue welded seams.
How to find the best waterproof backpack
That’s a loaded question and there is not one clear answer. We have put together a list of common concerns and questions that will steer you towards the waterproof hiking backpack that suits your needs.
Waterproof vs. Water resistant
A common misconception is that waterproof and water resistant are the same thing and they’re not. They are built differently and perform better in different situations. The intended use is going to dictate which type of backpack is best for you.
Water resistant backpack
A water resistant backpack is going to protect you from light rainfall. There are levels to this game, and water resistance varies from backpack to backpack. It may withstand a light rain or it may protect your belongings from a heavy downpour, in other words, the definition is vague.
Activities for a water resistant backpack:
- Hiking during the rainy season
- Long distance backpacking
- Rainy day adventures
When we’re talking waterproof backpacks the standard is much more defined. Waterproof backpacks are designed to withstand complete submersion in the water while keeping everything inside bone dry. They are designed for more extreme conditions and you’ll be able to stand in the middle of a waterfall and your belongings will (should) be fine.
Activities for a waterproof backpack:
- Kayak or canoe camping trips
- Bike commuting
- Whitewater rafting
Factors to consider when choosing a wet weather backpack
Now that we know the difference between water resistant and waterproof backpacks we can get down to the
There is no one size fits all size, it varies on personal preference and duration of the trip. That being said, backpacks are measured in Litres and range from 15 to 75 Litres and everything in between.
- Overnight: 20-30 liters
- Weekend: 30-55 liters
- Multi-day: 40-55 liters
- Extended: 55+ liters
If you’re just taking a morning hike or need something for a short weekend trip a 10-25 Litre backpack is all you’re going to need.
For extended trips that last anywhere from 3 to 5 days, a 40-55 Liter size is best. 55-75 Litre backpacks are the standard range that most backpackers take on an extended trip, which is anything exceeding 5 days.
The bigger the bag, the more it weighs, it’s as simple as that. With waterproof backpacks, they tend to be on the heavier end of the spectrum due to the material they are made of. That being said, there are still lightweight waterproof backpacks out there.
Water resistant backpacks don’t have much of a difference in weight, and to be honest, most hiking backpacks really should all be water resistant. After all, if you hike enough, you will eventually encounter rainy days.
A good rule of them for weight is the lighter the better, brought to you by captain obvious.
Something not to be overlooked, next to capacity, comfort is everything when you plan on wearing your backpack for hours on end. Having a comfortable backpack that fits your body type is going to be key in any successful outdoor adventure.
You want to consider the following for maximum comfort…
- Shoulder straps
- Chest straps
- Back padding
- Torso length
Choose a backpack that fits your torso length, not just your height. It may seem like the best bet is to go with a larger pack for taller people, however, torso length differs from individual to individual.
Each manufacturer has a different standard for torso length. It’s always a good idea to head to a brick and mortar store where they will have access to the manufacturer’s different sizes. This way you know exactly what you’ll need in terms of torso length for the particular brand you are into.
Material and Construction
Both waterproof and water resistant backpacks are made of different materials. Overall, they are going to be tough, durable, waterproof, and hopefully comfortable material. Finding a balance between all four components is the challenging part.
Waterproof backpacks are made of highly engineered materials. They commonly use nylon and polyester which have PVC and TPU coatings and welded seams. The main goal is having high quality 100% waterproof material with reinforced and welded seams.
Water resistant backpacks, on the other hand, are not designed to withstand submersion, therefore, they are built with less heavy duty materials. They are typically made with water treated fabrics rather than PVC coating and have reinforced zippers. They perform differently in the weather depending on the backpack, all this means is some are more water resistant than others.
Other ways to keep your gear dry
A waterproof backpack isn’t for everybody. Maybe you have a tried and true backpack that you absolutely love and don’t want to give up. Have no fear,
Waterproof backpack cover
Your backpack has been with you on countless trails and there are too many memories to give it up. If that’s the case then a waterproof backpack cover is right up your alley.
They come in all shapes and sizes, so finding one that fits you won’t be an issue. Some are simply bags with elastic on the edges that wrap around the exposed part of your pack. While others come with straps for extra support and high visibility colors for enhanced safety.
Waterproof bag liners
Another option is to use bag liners on the inside of your bag for anything that absolutely cannot get wet. These come in all size as well and are an easy way to protect the items on the inside. If you have a bag that is water-resistant but still manages to get things a little wet, a dry bag liner is an inexpensive and simple solution.
If you spend enough time outdoors and are passionate about living a life that involves adventure and the wilderness finding the best waterproof backpack is a must. Hopefully, after spending some time reading this you are more informed and can make an educated decision on which backpack you need.
There are a number of great waterproof backpacks out there, these are just the ones that stood out when we did our research.
Keep calm and hike on.