Everyone camps a little different. Go camping with three different groups of people and you’re going to see three completely different ways to pitch a tent, set up the kitchen, and start a campfire.
The location will change, the people may change, but a camp chair remains the same. Whether you are sitting around the campfire telling stories or hanging out on the beach. Having a comfortable place to kick back and relax is where a camp chair comes into play.
Camping chairs are a staple at every campground across the world. All you need is 4 legs, a cup holder, and a comfortable seat. Talk to any avid camper and they all have their favorite camping chair they never leave home without.
The best camping chair is not going to break the bank and is a balanced blend of comfort and utility.
Table of Contents
- What are camping chairs?
- Benefits of camping chairs
- What to look for in camping chairs
- Best camping chairs of 2018
What are camping chairs?
A camping chair is a folding chair that you pack with you on a camping trip. They are used all throughout the day, from hanging out by the beach to telling stories around the campfire at night.
They come in all shapes and sizes, however, they all have a pretty standard folding style that breaks down and sets up in a matter of minutes.
Some styles of camp chairs sit low to the ground, while others are closer to the height of a normal chair with a sunshade. Finding the best camp chair ultimately boils down to which chair is the best for your needs and preferences.
Benefits of camping chairs
Comfort is the number one reason that you use a camping chair. There is nothing worse than forgetting your camping chair at home and having to make do with natural alternatives. Sitting on a log, a wooden bench, or the ground all day gets old.
Camping chairs are portable by design. They fold down into a small carrying case that includes a shoulder strap so you can easily take it with you anywhere your heart desires.
They should be light enough that they are manageable for everyone to carry.
Camp chairs are made to be used outdoors for multiple seasons and the material they are made of should be able to take a beating.
The convenience factor can’t be beaten. Not every campsite has adequate seating for every group of campers. There is usually a wooden table that is heavy and cumbersome to move, not the best option for taking with you to the beach.
Advantages of camping chairs:
- Ultra portable
What to look for in camping chairs
When you are looking for a camping chair for you and your friends there are a number of factors to take into consideration. Things like size, weight, comfort, and cup holders are just a few things to consider. We have put together a thorough list to help you answer any question you may have below.
Companies understand that dragging a camping chair that weighs the same as the recliner at home simply won’t work. That being said, the lighter the better.
You’re going to have to find a place for the camping chair among all the other gear you bring camping. A good camp chair is going to break down into a small area and is easy to pack.
Back support for some is a major consideration. The fact of the matter is, most camping chairs don’t come with lumbar support. There are always little tricks to get around this like using a pillow or sweatshirt on your lower back if back pain is an issue.
Considering that we’re talking about camping, durability is something that factors into all your outdoor gear decisions. The best lightweight camping chairs will have a durable frame that supports your weight and breathable material so you stay cool in hot climates.
How you plan on using it
How you plan on using your camp chair is an important consideration. If you wild camp and plan on hiking a little way to set up camp, the lighter the better. For car campers that have a short trip between their car and campsite, things like pockets, cup holders, and a padded headrest are all important features.
Cup holders and pockets
Since you’re going to be kicking your feet up and taking a load off, having a place to place your cup or bottle in is crucial. Most, if not all camping chairs are going to have at least 1 cup holder and possibly 2. Pockets are also a nice addition, they give you a place to keep track of all your belongings.
Camping chairs generally come in two styles of elevation. Chairs that are similar to the height of a normal chair and low profile seats that rest just a few inches off the ground. It really is a matter of personal preference, whether you want to be close to the ground or not.
Easy to carry
One of the best parts of using a camp chair is how easy they are to move around. Unlike a metal folding chair or a lawn chair, a camp chair should break down into a small area and have a shoulder strap to make packing it anywhere a breeze.
Best camping chairs of 2018
The best camping chair is the one that fits your camping style. It should be lightweight, durable, portable, and comfortable.
Here are our picks for the 7 best camp shoes available in 2018.
Kijaro Dual Lock Portable Camping Chair
- -This portable Dual Lock chair gives you a premium seating experience with no-sag seating, durable diamond ripstop polyester, and breathable mesh on seat back
- -The Dual Lock chair is perfect to take with you whether you are tailgating, camping, or watching your favorite sports teams
- -Includes: 2 cup holders, organizer with zip & mesh pockets, carry strap attached to chair, and carry bag
- -Supports up to 300 pounds. Dimensions-26 L x 35.4 W x 37.4 H inches. Product Weight- 9.4 pounds
The Kijaro Dual Lock Camping Chair is an all-around great camping chair. It’s a perfect blend of style, comfort, portability, and price. It is easy to carry, which is one of the hallmarks of a great camping chair and the seat is supportive.
This camping chair is rated for up to 300 pounds and includes a cup holder on each armrest. It locks into place when you set it up to ensure that there are no unplanned collapsing on those late nights around the campfire.
The seat itself sits high and the rigid back of the chair is designed so that it doesn’t push you awkwardly forward. It feels like you are sitting in a comfortable chair, rather than a bucket.
- Great back support
- Locks open
- Small cup holders
- Durability issues
- Rivets break
ALPS Mountaineering King Kong Chair
- Sturdy powder-coated steel frame and 600D polyester fabric provides stability and comfort
- Each adjustable armrest comes with a cup holder and side pocket for maximum storage
- Includes convenient shoulder carry bag, allowing you to transport and store chair with ease
- The ALPS Mountaineering King Kong is on our best sellers list; you'll know why as soon as you take a seat
APLS Mountaineering is a well-known name in the outdoor game and this chair is a good example of why. It has a patented steel frame that makes this chair a beast, able to support up to 800 pounds. Chances are that a guerrilla won’t be borrowing it, so it literally holds any human alive.
There are cup holders on both armrests and just beneath them on the outside are convenient pockets for all your stuff. The fabric of the chair is durable 600D polyester and the back of the chair has an extra pocket as well.
ALPS is so confident in their product that they offer a lifetime warranty that guarantees the material and craftsmanship will hold up for a lifetime.
- Heavy-duty canvas
- Pockets on each side
- Sturdy frame
- High legs
- Durability issues
- No lumbar support
ALPS Mountaineering Rendezvous Camp Chair
- Sturdy powder-coated steel frame and TechMesh Fabric offers you ultimate stability and breathable comfort
- Sits low to the ground and allows you to lean back at a perfect angle to relax and stretch out your legs
- Conveniently collapses and fits into the included shoulder carry bag so transporting and storing is easy
- Perfect chair for beach trips, gathering around the campfire, outdoor concerts or sporting events; options are endless
It is no coincidence that another chair from ALPS made the list. The biggest difference in this ALPS Rendezvous Camp Chair from the others is the low profile seat. The low design keeps you close to the ground and perfect for relaxing around the campfire or on the beach.
The frame is made of powder-coated steel and is rated up to 300 pounds. The folding design of the chair breaks down into an 8 x 28 inch carrying case. There is a mesh back that runs into the seat for increased airflow and breathability.
Again ALPS has a lifetime warranty on their products to guarantee the quality craftsmanship of their product.
- Low profile
- No neck support
- Very low to the ground
- Fabric issues
Terralite Portable Camp Chair
- PORTABLE - Quit hauling huge bulky chairs around. At only 2.55 lbs (without Terragrip feet) and 3.2 pounds with the Terragrip feet installed the lightweight Terralite chair is perfect for any outdoor activity. Easily attach the chair to a backpack or bag with the built in strap for hands free transport.
- WON'T SINK IN SAND OR MUD - With our exclusive Terragrip easy on / easy off feet the chair floats on the sand or mud making it perfect for the beach or other sandy / muddy conditions. Our innovative Terragrip feet can be installed in seconds so you can use your chair in any condition.
- FREE FLEX TECHNOLOGY- Made from heavy duty aircraft grade 7075 aluminum the Terralite supports up to 300 lbs and is designed to flex with you as you move around while remaining completely stable. The seat cover is made from durable 600D nylon with breathable nylon mesh.
- EASY SETUP & COMFORTABLE- Sets up in seconds so you can sink into the extra deep mesh fabric and enjoy that sunset on the beach, camp fire, kids sports events or music festival. Good things come in small packages!
The Terralite Portable Camp Chair is made of premium lightweight materials and folds down to fit into a mesh bag for carrying. It’s packed size is 5 x 17 inches and the carrying case has two handles, one on either end. The overall weight is right around 6 pounds, so it is on the heavier end, but not too heavy.
One of the features that sets this chair apart from others is the interchangeable feet. There is the standard set that works on most surfaces and then there are the Terragrip feet you. The Terragrip feet have a wider base and are made to keep you from sinking into sandy, muddy, or wet conditions.
The versatility of this camping chair is what sets it apart. If sand or mud is in your future, this chair is right up your alley.
- Mesh carrying case
- Terragrip feet
- No cup holder
- Not very tall
- Hard to assemble
Kelsyus Original Canopy Chair
- MULTI-USE: This quad-style chair is ideal for use while camping, on a beach trip, at concerts, sporting events, and more!
- SUN PROTECTION: Includes an adjustable sun canopy with 50+ UPF protection to protect you on even the sunniest of days
- PORTABLE: Folded down and snapped together, the canopy becomes the chair's carry bag. Includes an integrated shoulder strap for hands-free portability
- ULTIMATE COMFORT: Made from a sturdy powder-coated steel frame, this chair boasts a breathable, ergonomic mesh oversized seat with front edge that won't cut into the back of your legs and an O-ring armrest cup holder to ensure stable and extended comfort!
The first feature that you notice about this chair is the sunshade that sits above your head. It’s there to protect you from the UV rays of the sun or a little rain on a cloudy day. The canopy is connected with a snap lock system, so want to enjoy the sun, it’s 100% up to you.
There is a cup holder on one of the armrests, it would be nice to have one on each. The center of the chair is made of mesh material for increased airflow which is great on hot summer days.
This chair doesn’t come with a bag, however, the chair folds down and is still easy to carry and there’s no bag to misplace.
- Sturdy build
- Easy to carry
- Canopy issues
- Lacks back support
TrekUltra Portable Camp Chair
- VERY EASY TO SET UP AND TAKE DOWN : Our Low Rise Camping Chair (sits approximately 3 inches lower than your couch) can be set up quickly and easily . This collapsible camping chair is simple to assemble and disassemble and includes a convenient storage ba
- COMPACT PORTABLE AND ULTRA COMFORTABLE : This lightweight chair provides all the comfort and portability without the bulk associated with most outdoor chairs . It packs down to about the size of a loaf bread. Our portable folding chairs lightweight design
- IDEAL FOR SAND OR HARD SURFACES : Our chair comes equipped with 2 SETS OF FEET. We include our EXCLUSIVE ALL TERRAIN ADJUSTABLE feet so you won't sink in the sand or soft ground as well as a pair of hiking chair ultralight feet. Our interchangeable feet a
- Our travel chairs are lightweight and easy to carry. Unlike most competitors , our camp chairs heavy duty design is built to endure. Weighing only 2.6 pounds this chair is made from heavy duty aircraft grade 7075 aluminum and supports up to 350 lbs . We a
As you can see from the picture above, the packed size of this chair literally fits in the palm of your hand. In terms of portability, this chair can’t be beaten. The packed weight of the chair is 2.6 pounds overall, however, it is rated all the way up to 350 pounds.
The frame of the chair is heavy duty aluminum with a shock cord structured frame. The seat itself is made of soft and breathable mesh bucket seating which offers great back support. Not only is the material breathable, but it’s also weatherproof, washable, and tough.
Considering the compact size when packed you might be thinking that it can’t be comfortable for tall people. In reality, it is comfortable for nearly everyone of that isn’t a giant.
- Easy to set up
- Leg pegs fall off
- Connection point issues
- Difficult to assemble
Trekology YIZI GO Portable Camping Chair
- BEST in COMFORT! Designed with you in mind. YIZI GO boasts (3) ADJUSTABLE HEIGHTS - suitable for toddlers, kids, and adults alike. Experience superior lower back support. Higher off the Ground. Deeper Seat than comparable products. Breathable side Mesh Panels allow for increased Air Flow in hot and humid environments, helping to Keep you Cooler. Rest assured you Will sit like a king or queen comfortably in this ergonomic portable chair Backed by our 100% COMFORTABLE GUARANTEE!
- SIZE DOES MATTER! LIGHT WEIGHT PACKABLE FOLDABLE design: Fits in Backpacks and Carry-on luggage (14in storage bag included). Stop hauling around bulky chairs! At only 2 pound the Yizi Go chair is ready to go Wherever and Whenever you are! Take a load off no matter where you decide to go. PORTABILITY and STRENGTH in one LIGHTWEIGHT Package. Perfect for hiking, camping, tailgating, BBQ, picnics, concerts, sporting events, the beach. backpackers, car camping or anywhere you travel!
- YOU REALLY CAN HAVE IT ALL! SUPER DURABLE and STURDY GEAR for OUTDOORS! The YIZI GO Chair was BUILT to LAST: Designed and Engineered with the same High strength aluminum alloys used by Aircraft manufacturers. The frame provides sturdy support with a weight capacity of up to 300 pounds. Engineering Grade 600D polyester seat fabric with double reinforced V stitch is durable, flexible and Machine Washable for ease of care.
- SET UP in SECONDS. Single piece (tent style) lightweight aluminum pole system with hand guide connection. The Yizi Go's shock corded main frame allows you to guide the connected poles directly into the frame. This unique design enables you to just pop it open, attach the seat fabric and You're ready to go! Allowing you to immediately sit and enjoy a camp fire, outdoor festival, sporting event, etc. Pair with Sand Cover to increase foot area so it will not sink in sand or soft ground.
The initial set up with this camping chair is a no-brainer. It comes with only two parts to put together, the cloth and the frame. The frame comes attached to the plastic pieces and all you have to do is slide the cloth over and your finished.
The chair itself is built with durability in mind. All the threading on the chair is thick in all the right places and the stitching is doubled up. The seam joints are reinforced with bar tacks at the failure points which increases the overall life of this chair.
The chair itself weighs in at under two pounds overall. There are telescoping legs that you can adjust to raise or lower the elevation of the chair itself. The legs adjust independently from each other, so theoretically you can make it work on uneven surfaces.
- Very compact
- Durable build
- Stability issues
- Lacks back support