The days are getting longer and the nights are getting hotter, which means summer is here. For most people, this involves going to the beach, lounging around in the sun, and soaking up some rays.
However, summer’s not all fun and games.
Staying out in the sun can cause freckles, sunburns, and even heat stroke. That’s not even the worst of it. Did you know that about 90% of nonmelanoma skin cancers are associated with exposure to UV radiation from the sun?
UV rays are ultraviolet radiation from the sun that reaches the earth’s surface. Every time you go outdoors, you’re exposed to it.
Luckily, UV rays aren’t harmful in small doses. So it’s okay to get your fun in the sun, as long as you minimize the amount of time spent doing it.
One of the best ways to enjoy the summer heat without having to worry about harmful sun rays is by using a beach tent.
Benefits of Beach Tents
Beach tents are your first line of defense from UV rays on a hot summer day. They are a tent or canopy that give you a shady spot anywhere on the beach that you choose.
They keep you cool
Beach tents are extremely useful during those hot summer days. You may be saying to yourself…
“Why would I need a beach tent? I’m trying to get my tan on!”
Which is great and all, but what about when you’ve been on the beach for a few hours and you’re beginning to look like a boiled lobster a beach tent comes in handy.
Not to mention, if you bring drinks or food onto the beach, keeping them in the shade of a beach tent will keep them a little cooler. If you bring a cooler with you, storing it under the shade will help to preserve the contents for a longer time.
Beach tents keep you out of the wind
Have you ever been out on the beach on a windy day? It’s no fun. The wind starts blowing your belongings away, the sand begins to whip at your face and legs, and you can’t enjoy just sitting out on the beach. A windy day at the beach is enough to ruin any trip.
But, not if you have a beach tent.
A beach tent will keep you out of the wind and your stuff sand free (for the most part). While a sandstorm whips around you outside, you’ll be inside your safe haven, lounging around and enjoying the smell of the sea.
They Give You Privacy
When you’re out on the beach, there isn’t much privacy. This can make changing out of wet swimsuits a real pain, especially if you have kids.
However, with a beach tent, you can duck in real quick and change into some clean clothes without having to hike back to your car or the public restroom. This is especially handy when you’re at a crowded beach and there’s a line of people waiting to steal your awesome spot on the shoreline.
Advantages of beach tents:
- Keeps you out of the sun
- Prevents sunburn and heatstroke
- Keep food and drinks cool
- Wind protection
- Keeps things from blowing away
- Increased privacy
Beach Tent Buying Guide
When considering a beach tent for your friends and family there are a number of factors to consider. Things such as size, UV protection, and difficulty to set up are just a few of them…
Do I Need a Beach Tent?
Do you have skin? Then the answer is, yes.
Even those of us who don’t burn easily need to be careful when out in the sun. Although you may not get sunburnt, you can still be exposed to the danger of UV rays which can lead to problems later on down the road.
Having a beach tent doesn’t just benefit you. Your friends and family at the beach will thank you for it too since they’ll have a spot to sit when they get too hot and a place to keep their food and drinks cool too.
Will It Protect Me From UV Rays?
Beach tents can block up to 99% of incoming UV rays. So yes, they can definitely protect you.
“I don’t need that,” you might say. “I’ll just wear sunscreen!”
Well, actually, sunscreen has been proven to really not be that effective.
Studies suggest that sunscreen users need to apply the equivalent of a shot glass of sunscreen for it to be effective, and that doesn’t even count the amount you’ll have to reapply every few hours and after you go swimming.
If you want protection from UV rays, using a beach tent is a much easier, simpler, and, once you factor in the price of all that sunblock, a cheaper solution.
How Difficult Is The Setup?
The best beach tents are actually incredibly easy to set up. Many of them are pop-top tents that literally just pop right up. Poles are usually folded into the interior of the tent so that when they’re released, they spring into an upright position.
There are models that don’t pop right into action. The longest setup time seems to be around 5 minutes at the max, once you get the hang of it.
Is it lightweight?
Beach tents are also typically made of lightweight materials and are easy to carry around. Often, they’ll come with carrying handles stitched into the side and roll up into the size of a beach towel or camping chair.
Are beach tents easy to clean?
Beach tents are also pretty easy to maintain. You can wipe them down with soap and then just spray it off with water. Afterward, just let it hang out to dry and voila! Your beach tent is clean.
How much do they cost?
Cost is always going to be an important consideration for any and every purchase that you make. It’s no different when finding a beach tent for yourself.
As they say…
“You get what you pay for.”
Is it waterproof?
Dreams of sandy beaches rarely include rainfall. That being said, there is always a chance of rain, so finding a beach tent that will protect you from the occasional drizzle is an area of concern.
The 7 Best Beach Tents for Summer Fun
Here are our picks for the top beach tents that give you a little bit of shade on those hot summer days.
OILEUS 4-person Beach Tent
- Easy Setup and Portable - This instant beach tent features automatic patented pop up mechanism, makes it fast and easy to take down and fold back in under 30 seconds. Light weight at 4 lbs, packs down to 32" x 5" for easy carrying and storage.
- Strong and Durable - Umbrella rated 3000mm PU coating by newest breathable 210T polyester, anti 99% harmful UV, durable floor made of 150D PE; thick 8.5mm fiberglass poles for added stability with stakes and guy rope.
- Luxurious Space - XXL Large size: 92" x 45" x 45" providing generous space for upto ( 2 adults with 2 kids ). Spacious design provides more comfortable cooling shade and easily to relax inside.
- New Design - Featuring an awning for extra shade, 2 windows for maximum ventilation and air circulation; providing a spacious interior shelter and has internal pocket to store personal items.
The OILEUS X-Large 4 Person Beach Tent is a great beach tent for you and your family. The strong, lightweight design means this tent will last a long time while the expandable awning gives you even more shade.
It has an automatic patented mechanism that pops the tent up with ease. This beach tent will set up and breakdown in roughly 30 seconds.
It breaks down into a small area and packs up to about the size of a camping chair. There is an inside pocket for electronics, sunglasses, or anything else your heart desires.
- Extra awning
- 2 windows for ventilation
- 1 year warranty
- Windows hard to secure
- Only fits 4 people
- Low ceiling
Pacific Breeze Beach Tent
- Specially designed hub system showcases industry leading design. Allows for fast and easy setup
- Lightweight, compact beach tent provides protection from the sun, rain and wind for all outdoor activities, UPF 50+ sun protection and large windows for ventilation. The beach tent is made from breathable polyester and is water repellent. weighing just 4.5 pounds and folds down to a travel size of 40 L x 5 W x 5 H
- The tent is 87 L x 47 H x 49 D, providing a spacious interior shelter and has internal pockets to store personal items. Durable and lightweight fiberglass frame and water resistant PE floor makes the beach tent a great outdoor accessory
- Includes a carrying case, sand pockets, and stakes
The Pacific Breeze is a portable tent that provides a UPF of 50+ sun protection. It can seat up to 2 adults and provides 2 windows for extra ventilation.
Once you have a few practice runs setting it up in the backyard, you can get it up and down in a minute or less. The instructions are sewn into the carrying bag of the tent, so losing them is not an option.
The sandbags that are in place work well in limited wind, that being said, in heavy winds every beach tent turns into a kite.
- 2 windows
- Quick and easy setup
- Water resistant material
- Not very wide
- Need to use sand pouches
- Sandbags rarely tear
Tagvo Popup Beach Tent
- EASY UP & DOWN: this portable pop up beach sun shelter can be incredibly easy to set up and take down in a minute by yourself alone. This easy up canopy tent provides protection from the sun, rain and wind for all outdoor activities, UV 50+ sun protection can resist the UV effectively, and offer you and kids all-day shade on the beach.
- COMPACT & LIGHTWEIGHT: a newer version that the foldable travel size is 39 * 5.1 inches, and this easy up tent can be folded in carry bag, lightweight only 4.7 lb. Expanding size in 94.5 (L) *49.2(H) * 45.3(vertical depth) inches large enough for 2 adults with 2 kids or 2 adults with 2 beach chairs, providing a spacious interior shelter.
- NEW DESIGN FOR PRIVACY FRONT DOOR: Easy to open and close velcro tape front door of the sun shelter, which can protect privacy when you need extra private space, or are away from the tent.
- GOOD VENTILATION: the instant beach cabana is made from breathable polyester, and designed with 3 large screen windows that provide for a good cross breeze when they are open or can be left shut for additional sun protection
The Tagvo Popup Beach Tent is great for the whole family! The tent has enough room to fit 2 adults and 2 kids and features 3 windows for extra ventilation.
It only takes a couple minutes to complete the setup process. You simply unfold the legs, spread them, and pull the strings attached to the top of the tent until they lock together.
The windows are great for airflow and the mesh helps stop it from flying away when the wind hits.
- 3 windows
- 50 UPF protection
- Lightweight and breathable
- Not weatherproof
- Low ceiling
- Pinch points
- Portable pop-up beach tent with 50+ UPF sun protection
- Extended front floor zips for privacy; back window unzips for ventilation
- Integrated storage pockets and a dry line to hang wet clothing
- Measures 7 feet 6 inches by 4 feet 5 inches with 4-foot 9-inch center height
The Coleman Daytripper Beach Shade is a great tent for the solo beach traveler! It features an extendable front floor for extra room and makes for a great tent to lounge around in.
The setup on this beach tent does take 5 or 6 minutes once you get the hang of it. When packed up, however, it takes up very little space and can be easily included inside your bags.
The material is built to withstand light rain, so when everyone else is running for cover you can sit back and enjoy the rain. The tent itself is large enough to fit a couple of beach chairs or a pair of large towels for a short nap in the shade.
- Full length window
- Extendable front floor
- Includes a dry-line
- Limited size
- Long setup
- Small when zipped up
BATTOP Beach Tent
- 【Deluxe XL Size with Extendable Floor】Extra Large Beach Tent Perfect for all FAMILIES with KIDS at beach times which expanding size is 94.32" * 88.42" * 56.98" (L*W*H) ; Providing you and your families Super large space to sit or lay inside
- 【Less Time to Install, More Time to Play】BATTOP instant pop up beach tent can be set up in less than 30 seconds thanks to the Hub System Design, also it is very easy to close
- 【Durable & Stable & Windproof】Sturdy fiberglass frame and 5 sand bags makes it more durability and stability. It is amazing for wind resistant, don't worry about being blown away in windy beach like those normal beach tent
- 【Sun Protection & Lightweight & Compact】The easy up beach tent is made from waterproof breathable polyester, sun protection UPF 50+. The weight is 7.14 pounds and the folding size is 37.4" x 6.69" x 6.69". There is a big pocket inside the tent to store items and hook for hanging
BATTOP’s Popup Beach Tent is a great tent for a beach trip with the family. The tent can seat 2 adults and 3 kids and only takes 30 seconds to set-up.
It comes with stakes that are easy to install, just don’t forget a hammer or a means to pound them down… A large rock will also always work.
It folds up into a small circle and it’s super easy to carry and pack to any sandy beach or grassy field. It comes with a nice vent around the base of the beach tent for increased airflow.
- Super fast setup
- 50+ UPF protection
- No windows
- Repacking issues
- Now waterproof
Easthills Outdoors Beach Tent
- EXTRA LARGE. The Instant Shade Deluxe XL is one of the biggest sun shelters for your whole family. 99" W x 53" D x 57" H plus a 53" front porch of space for up to 4 adults and children or pets. Weighs only 8 pounds and packs down to 41" x 8.5" x 8.5" for easy carrying and storage - easy to fit in the trunk of a car
- 1 MINTUE (OR LESS!) SETUP TIME and EASY TO USE. Setting up this tent couldn't be any faster or easier! In case you can't figure it out, we've sewed step-by-step instructions inside the carry bag; It also has three-sided roll up windows for 360 degree views and efficient ventilation to prevent hot tent; 4 internal mesh pockets to store your personal items
- ULTRA LIGHTWEIGHT and WATER RESISTANT. Crafted from 185T polyester coated with UPF 50+ protection that blocks 97.5% of harmful UV sun rays, providing all-day protection for your family on the beach or sports events.
- ZIPPERED FRONT FOR ADDED PRIVACY. The easy to close front of the tent can come in handy when needing to change out of swimming suits, breastfeeding, or any other private moment. When you need extra privacy, or are away from the tent, the extended zippered front porch can be used as a front door and closed from both inside and outside
The Easthills Outdoors Easy Up 4 Person Beach Tent is a great tent for the whole family and then some! It can fit 4 adults and children and features a front zipper for extra privacy.
It sets up similar to an umbrella and comes with plenty of space inside. The instructions for this are sewn into the side for easy access. You can also close up the tent if you’re in the need for some midday privacy.
Packing it up takes a little bit of practice. To get it back into the carrying case you need to roll it up really tight and a hard surface seems to work best.
- Plenty of space
- Extendable floor
- 1 person setup
- Tough to pack
- Stakes don’t work well
- Setup isn’t intuitive
Alvantor Beach Tent
- ☀SUPER EASY UP AND DOWN: This beach tent sun shelter pop up automatically instant in a second. Sets up less than 30 seconds. Folds down handy, twist or figure 8, into roomy portable carrying bag, no need to struggle with this foldable beach sun shelter.
- ☀Only 2.5 lbs! lightest sun shade beach tent on the market: new fiberglass frame, which is safe, durable and rust free, makes tent stably stand by itself and keeps shape after long time use. The new frame is 100% hassle free without those safety problems.
- ☀INNOVATIVE DESIGN: 50+ UPF UV protection and water resistant fabric for walls and floor. Back side mesh provides excellent ventilation. Includes 3 sand pockets and 4 extra sandbags plus 4 stakes. This pop-up beach sun shelter is windproof up to 25 mph.
- ☀Versatile usage: Used as a canopy, beach umbrella or sun tent, It can provide cool, all-day shade at park, beach, lake, camping, hiking, fishing or weekend trip, sporting events, music festivals or for just relaxing in the back yard.
The Alvantor Beach Tent boasts itself as the lightest beach tent on the market! It can comfortably fit 2-3 people and is windproof up to 25 mph. The mesh makes for awesome ventilation on hot summer days.
It sets up in just a few minutes and comes down even faster. Putting it back in the bag is a little bit of a challenge, however, after a few tries, it gets easier.
It includes inside pockets for storage and sand pockets on the corners for added stability.
- Windproof up to 25 mph
- Quick setup
- Takes 2 people to close
- Feels flimsy
- Not great in high winds